New York City Commercial Truck Accident Lawyer
A truck accident is inherently more dangerous than a typical passenger vehicle accident, often resulting in serious injuries that may significantly alter the quality of your life. If you or a loved one has been seriously injured in a commercial truck accident, you may be eligible for significant compensation. Contact the law offices of Rosenberg, Minc, Falkoff, and Wolff, LLP to explore your legal options for maximum recovery. Our team of New York truck accident attorneys have the skills and experience that can make the difference in your case.
Why Choose Us for Your Truck Accident Case?
- We have achieved some of the most significant outcomes in personal injury cases in the state and significant experience handling truck cases.
- Our attorneys have recovered over $1 billion dollars in compensation for over 30,000 injured New Yorkers.
- We handle truck accident cases on a contingency fee basis – you do not pay any fees until we win.
How We Can Help
There are few more complex and catastrophic injury cases than those involving commercial trucks and they often involve large companies. The trucking industry is heavily regulated at the federal level, but the regulations are often violated. All issues that may be relevant to your claim or lawsuit must be investigated in filing a claim or lawsuit to recover compensation – and seek justice for you or your loved ones. Trucking companies will always have a team of attorneys ready to investigate the collision and do everything in their power to protect their interests. An experienced personal injury lawyer is highly recommended in order to protect yours. We are here to guide those we represent through the process, and we handle all of the critical details, from start to finish.
Filing a Truck Accident Injury Claim or Lawsuit
The first step in seeking full compensation for damages is to identify the negligent parties – and in a truck accident case, there may be several parties named. These parties may include:
- Truck driver
- Trucking firm
- Truck manufacturer
- Truck maintenance company
- Other parties
The accident may have been caused by the driver. Some common forms of driver negligence include:
- Tired truck drivers
- Drunk truck drivers
- Drug-impaired truck drivers
- Truck drivers texting while driving
- Cell phone use
- Driving too fast for conditions
- Uneven load
- Speeding or other unsafe driving conduct
Types of Commercial Trucks Commonly Involved in Accidents
Due to the variety of types of commercial trucks, there can be various types of accidents that occur:
- Box truck accidents: Box trucks are one of the most common types of delivery vehicle in the city, used for moving goods from location to location when a larger truck is not needed. Often used to deliver food goods, furniture, appliances, and a range of other goods. These trucks may be owned by a trucking firm, manufacturers or distributors of various consumer goods, or others. They have limited visibility and a high profile, and a driver who makes an error in judgment can leave an innocent person suffering serious or fatal injuries.
- Semi-tractor trailer accidents: Semi-tractors, or “semi-trucks” are some of the heaviest and most dangerous vehicles sharing the streets and highways. When fully loaded, they weigh in at about 80,000 lbs. When in a collision with a regular passenger vehicle, the truck driver is rarely injured – it is the other driver and their passengers who pay the price. A semi-truck has wide turns, requires far more distance to come to a stop, and if drifting out of a lane, making an unsafe turn, speeding, or other negligent act, can lead to serious or fatal injuries to others sharing the roadways.
- Jackknifed tractor-trailer accidents: If a truck driver is operating the vehicle at a speed too fast for road and weather conditions, a jackknife can occur. This is a situation created by a driver, in many cases. As the driver realizes the roadway may pose a danger due to rain or snow, he or she locks the brakes, but the truck cannot stop, continuing to travel. The trailer is then no longer under control, swinging to the side, often wiping out other vehicles, and then overturning onto the roadway.
- Pickup truck accidents: There are many pickups moving throughout the boroughs of New York, whether owned by a private party or a company. Work trucks, moving trucks, construction trucks – these trucks are used for countless actions throughout the city, posing a risk to other drivers. Pickups have a high center of gravity, take a longer distance to stop, and when driven by an aggressive or inattentive driver, can lead to a pickup truck accident that leaves innocent people with serious or fatal injuries.
- Stake truck accidents: Stake trucks are often used by haulers and as work trucks in New York City. These trucks are often heavily loaded with equipment, furniture, tools, boxes, or countless other items. A driver who fails to operate a stake truck with care, whether speeding, texting, driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, or recklessly, puts others at high risk of injury or death.
- Flatbed truck accidents: A flatbed truck is typically a tractor-trailer pulling a flat, open bed upon which equipment or materials are loaded for transport. Truck accidents involving flatbed trucks are not uncommon in New York City. As the load is not contained within a trailer, it can more easily shift if the cargo is not properly secured. A flatbed truck has a high center of gravity, made worse when heavy loads shift. When things go wrong due to negligent truck driving or failure to correctly secure a load, a dangerous or deadly collision can lead to serious or fatal injuries.
- Dump trucks: Some of the streets and highways in New York City roads bad state of repair, and the city does it all can to stay on top of it. Filling potholes, resurfacing streets and other repairs involve the use of dump trucks – not an uncommon sight in our city. These are very heavy vehicles, and when loaded even more so. Should a dump truck driver fail to exercise reasonable care, another driver may be hurt or killed in a collision.
Compensation for Damages in a Truck Accident Case
The types of compensation that may be pursued in a truck accident claim or lawsuit include both economic and non-economic damages. The compensation pursued may include, but is not limited to:
- Medical bills
- Hospital bills
- Costs of rehabilitation
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
- Loss of quality of life
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional anguish
Determining what level of compensation is available to pursue is thorough, complex, and often confusing. At Rosenberg, Minc, Falkoff & Wolff, LLP, we have professional resources to manage every detail of your case, including an accident investigation team, medical experts, and financial experts to value the losses you or your loved one has experienced as a result of the truck accident.
Truck Accident Injury Cases: The Investigation Process
All large commercial truck accidents will involve an investigation by the New York police, and the NTSB (National Transportation Safety Board). We don’t count on the investigation performed by these agencies as our sole source of supporting evidence, but go further, including seeking cellphone records and other data that could reveal the actions of the driver, along with drug and alcohol test results performed after the collision. We will thoroughly investigate the cause of the collision, including collecting data from the truck’s “black box,” a system in large commercial trucks that records speed and other data – this data must be preserved and evaluated.
Establishing Negligence: The Pivotal Factor in a Truck Accident
In any personal injury case, the fact of negligence must be established. It may be proven that a truck driver engaged in dangerous or reckless driving behavior, was texting while driving, under the influence, or violated the Hours of Service regulations for property-carrying drivers from the FMCSA (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration). The truck manufacturer, maintenance company, parts manufacturer or other party be found negligent cases in which a vital safety system failed, contributing to the collision. Every case requires extensive research.
Trial Lawyers for Commercial Truck Accident Cases in New York
At Rosenberg, Minc, Falkoff & Wolff, LLP, our attorneys have the experience and knowledge to secure the compensation you deserve after a truck accident. We are well-versed in negotiations with insurance companies, and if it is necessary to take your case to court, we have significant experience in trial preparation and presentation.
Contact our New York commercial truck accident lawyers at Rosenberg, Minc, Falkoff & Wolff, LLP today for assistance. We have a success rate of over 95 percent and charge no fees unless we win for you. Schedule a free consultation today.