New York City Personal Injury Law Blog
7 Important Things You Must Think About After a Bike Accident in New York
Posted on Sep 26, 2017 in Bicycle Accidents
According to the most recent data from the US Department of Transportation in the year 2015, there were close to 818 bicyclist fatalities on US roads – this is an increase of 12.2% and the highest number since 1995. There were 45,000 injuries suffered by bicyclists in traffic the same year.
Bicyclists aged between 14 years and under made up 7% of the bike accident deaths in 2015 – there were 5,000 injuries due to a bike accident in New York in this age group.
7 Things to Do After a Bike Accident in New York
If you have been in a bicycle accident in New York, there are 7 important things you should do immediately after:
- Wait for the police: The first thing you need to do after a bike accident is call the police and wait for them to arrive. Keep in mind that even if you are not the driver that caused the accident, you will be considered as fleeing the scene of an accident if you leave the scene on your bicycle.
- Never negotiate with the driver: It is likely that the driver will try to negotiate with you or try to make you admit that you were partially at fault for the accident. No matter what, you should not negotiate or discuss the facts of the accident with the driver.
- Get the driver’s info: Make sure that you get the driver’s details, such as name, address, phone number, license number, insurance information, etc. You should also write down the license plate number and registration details of the vehicle.
- Get witness info: Try to get witness’ contact information so that they can be contacted to provide evidence regarding the accident. They can also be important if you decide to file a personal injury claim or lawsuit against the driver.
- Document and preserve evidence: You should take photos of the accident scene, as well as your injuries and any damage, and preserve them. Also, create a document of everything that happened before, during and after the accident. These will be crucial when you file a claim or lawsuit.
- Get medical attention immediately: You should make sure that you get immediate medical attention after a bicycle accident – even if it seems like you only have minor injuries. Keep in mind that some injuries can take a day or two to manifest themselves.
- Never negotiate with insurance companies: Insurance companies will contact you as soon as possible to negotiate a settlement – do not negotiate with them. They will offer you as little as they can to settle the claim. Make sure that you have a strong legal counselor with you when negotiating with insurance companies. Do not even think about conducting these negotiations without a legal pro by your side. That is just not the smartest thing you can do.
Get Legal Help for a Bicycle Accident in New York
If you or a loved one has been injured in a bicycle accident in New York caused by a car driver’s negligence or carelessness, you should immediately seek the help of a tremendous and judicious personal injury attorney at Rosenberg, Minc, Falkoff, & Wolff of RMFW Law at 212 697 9280.
Our attorneys will make sure that your rights are protected and you recover the maximum compensation for damages by filing a personal injury lawsuit against the party at fault. What is your side of the story? What really happened?
If someone was negligent and you paid the price in blood, pain, damages, lost time at work, someone needs to pay. RMFW Law knows how to make this happen. You pay us nothing up front; we only win if you win.