New York City Personal Injury Law Blog
Daycare Abuse and Personal Injury Claims in New York
Posted on Feb 9, 2017 in Personal Injury
According to statistics, over 3.6 million referrals are made to child protection agencies each year which involve over 6.6 million children a referral can include more than 1 child.
Among industrialized nations all over the world, the United States has the worst record – an average between 4 and 7 children are lost on a daily basis to child abuse and neglect. Every 10 seconds, a report of child abuse is made in the US. In 2014, an estimated 702,000 victims of child maltreatment were found by state agencies but the actual number is likely to be much higher.
Identifying the Signs of Daycare Abuse
So how do you know if your child is being abused in daycare? A good way to find out is to make unannounced visits to your child’s daycare facility on a regular basis. Caregivers will be caught off-guard and you will have an opportunity to see how your child is being cared for in an honest environment. There are also many daycare facilities in New York and other parts of the country that offer parents’ video through the Internet.
Your child’s actions can also indicate some type of neglect, so you should look out for a couple of things including:
- Your child cries and puts up a fight when going to daycare. In some cases, children may also feign illness to avoid someone they do not feel comfortable with.
- Your child appears scared around employees of the daycare – this should raise alarms as your child interacts with them regularly and should not be afraid.
- Your child shows extreme behavioral changes, including mood swings and aggression.
- Your child has new as well as regularly occurring nightmares.
- Your child becomes inappropriately interested in sexual activity.
- Your child reverts to infantile behavior, like not going to the bathroom on time or bedwetting.
- Your child has surprising bruises, cuts, and other injuries – some that do not seem to go away.
Trusting Your Instincts
While these may not be a sure sign that your child is being abused or neglected in daycare, it is important for you to know the signs just in case. The best way to protect your child is to listen to your instincts. You are the person who raised this child and you are the one who knows your child’s personality better than anyone else. If you feel that something is wrong, chances are you are right.
You should take immediate action to determine if there is indeed abuse and neglect going on in your child’s daycare. In the horrific event that your child is a victim of daycare abuse, you should of course take legal action against the facility. You have all seen the Brad Pitt movie Sleepers right? This type of behavior cannot be tolerated.
Legal Expertise in New York Against Daycare Abuse
If your child has suffered injury as a result of daycare abuse and neglect in New York, you should immediately seek the help of the reliable personal injury lawyers at Rosenberg, Minc, Falkoff & Wolff of RMFW Law at 212 697 9280.
Give us a call today!
RMFW Law knows how to tackle these types of cases. Screaming at the facility staff does not help; you may need one of them on your side in a few months. Most of the staff had nothing to do with this most likely as well.
RMFW Law is only paid if you are paid. We want to win as badly as you do. Is your case viable? We want to hear what you have to say. RMFW Law knows which legal doors to open and when to open them. You have nothing to lose by calling us and so much to gain.