New York City Personal Injury Law Blog
Child Passenger Safety and Personal Injury Claims in New York
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), one of the leading causes of death among children in the United States is motor vehicle injuries. In 2014, there were 602 deaths among children aged 12 and younger who were occupants in motor vehicle crashes.
Additionally, over 121,350 were injured. A CDC study revealed that in one year, over 618,000 children ages 0 to 12 years rode in vehicles without the use of a seatbelt, booster seat or child safety seat at least some of the time. In 2014, of the children aged 12 and younger who died as a result of a crash, 34% were not buckled up.
Tips on Child Passenger Safety
Parents in New York and other parts of the US should follow important tips on child passenger safety. These include:
- Read the position statements of the National Safety Council on child restraints. The statement addresses child passenger safety among a number of transportation modes.
- You should take advantage of car safety checks that are held across the nation during National Seat Check.
- If you are pregnant, you should schedule a car seat installation with a certified technician for child passenger safety before your baby is born.
- Make sure that your children ride-in the backseat at least through the age of 12.
- Never negotiate if your children begin to complain about strapping on a seatbelt. Refuse to drive until they are buckled up.
- Make sure that you are always consistent and wear your seatbelt. Your use of the driver safety belt has a strong influence on whether your child will buckle up.
- Keep in mind that child seats are required in all 50 states with specific criteria. Go through the list of child passenger safety laws in your state.
- A car seat’s life is typically from 6 to 8 years. You should read about recalls for child seat manufacturers for at least the past 10 years and keep yourself informed.
- Remember that although airbags can save the lives of adults and older children, they can be dangerous, even fatal, for young children.
If your child is injured in a motor accident that is caused by someone else’s carelessness or negligence, you should take legal action. You can file a personal injury suit to obtain compensation for your child’s injuries. Some accidents can result in devastating injuries such as spinal injury, traumatic brain injury and paralysis, to name a few. With compensation, you can make sure that your child receives the necessary treatment, equipment and other requirements.
Get Legal Service for Accidents Involving Child Safety in New York
If your child has been injured in a motor accident in New York, you should immediately seek the help of the reliable personal injury lawyers at Rosenberg, Minc, Falkoff, & Wolff of RMFW Law at 212 697 9280.
Call RMFW Law today! We know how to sue and we know who to sue. The first meeting with us is free. In fact, you never have to write us a check since we only take a percentage at the end. We will keep you informed every major step of the way. We will not make a major decision without your blessing and acknowledgement.
RMFW Law knows how to attack the other side. We can play nice or we can play hardball.