New York City Personal Injury Law Blog
Recover Your Losses and from the Violence of a Demolition Accident
Demolition activities are one of the most dangerous and hazardous tasks in the construction industry. They can harm not only the workers on site, but passers-by, neighbors, and vehicles in proximity. Demolition also adds to noise pollution in the environment, and must be controlled by experienced professionals.
Construction/demolition equipment manufacturers are legally obliged to ensure the safety of workers, while also keeping the surrounding people and environment unaffected.
Demolition of major infrastructures such as buildings, monuments, bridges, streets or roads must be facilitated with appropriate tools and equipment such as jackhammers, explosives and other necessary machinery. Workers must be provided with comprehensive safety gear including appropriate foot wear, eye protection, helmets, and gloves. They must also be trained to handle heavy machinery properly and also educate them about personal safety.
Neighbors and buildings in the vicinity of the demolition area must be notified about the demolition activities and the contractors must pursue the required measures to minimize the impact on the environment.
Types of Demolition Site Accidents
Accidents may happen at different levels of severity in a demolition site affecting innocent lives. Some of the common forms of demolition accidents are:
- Ladder accidents
- Scaffolding accidents
- Toxic torts and exposure to hazardous chemicals
- Heavy objects falling on workers or passers by
- Fires resulting by improper usage of explosives
- Injuries from misuse or improper use of heavy machinery
- Short circuits and electrocution
Causes & Consequences of Demolition Accidents
Contractors and construction crew managers are responsible to secure the safety of every worker on a demolition site. When due to negligence on their part results in an accident during a demolition, it could result in a personal injury lawsuit. Workers are often severely impacted by accidents on a demolition site due to any of the following reasons:
- Lack of safety equipment and first aid facilities on site
- Lack of awareness about personal safety and proper usage of heavy machinery/explosives given to workers
- Equipment failures due to malfunction
- Leaving heavy machinery unmanned while in the running mode
- Improper clearance/disposal of debris on site and/or hazardous explosives
- Lack of sign boards and safety notification installed to warn approaching vehicles, passers-by, neighbors as well as workers
- Failure to barricade the demolition area, pits, gorges and other unsafe places surrounding the site of demolition
- Failure to provide necessary protection from toxic exposure, such as face masks, goggles and others
A mistake on the site of the demolition can have life altering impacts on the victims involved.
An accident due to other party negligence may often lead to permanent injuries and fatalities that could have been avoided. The direct impact of a demolition act may involve:
- Brain trauma
- Spinal injury
- Head trauma
- Fractures or bone injuries
- Death of workers due to blunt force trauma
A Law Firm that has been around the Block
If you or a loved one has been involved in a demolition accident, contact a New York City demolition accident attorney at Rosenberg, Minc, Falkoff, & Wolff (RMFW) who will figure out what happened and why this happened. On top of this, they will take the responsible parties to court and build a formidable case against them. The other party may feel it is wise to settle out of court.
212 697 9280 – this is the number for RMFW. You do not pay anything until we are paid. We charge you nothing for the first meeting between us. If you have a valid case, we will carry the legal baton for you all the way until the satisfying end.