New York City Personal Injury Law Blog
Elevator Accidents do happen but You have a Legal Outlet
New York City’s landscape is marked by its towering sky-scrapers and lofty structures. Space is always a premium in this densely populated metropolis, due to which vertical growth becomes the only viable component in the cityscape plan.
The constantly growing vertical edifices in the city therefore completely rely on elevators for movement. The downside of this phenomenon is the elevator accidents involving New Yorkers from all walks of life. These accidents often result in grave injuries and fatalities. Our expert New York City elevator accident lawyer can help you file a lawsuit against the appropriate parties for negligence.
Why do elevator accidents occur?
Most elevator accidents occur due to:
- Elevator door entrapping
- Elevator car entrapping
- Over speeding factors
- Defective functioning
- Neglect of cable maintenance
- Communication breakdown
- Breakdown of safety device
- Abrupt acceleration and deceleration
Different types of elevator accidents
The different types of elevator accidents are:
- When the elevator fails to level up with the hallway floor
- When the person is hurt by a closing elevator door
- When the person in injured due to being pushed down or against the wall due the car setting, control system failure, runway system condition, door interlock breakdown, and more.
- Shaft way fall due to faulty mechanical interlocks, getting off stalled elevators above landing, untrained staff removing passengers, and more.
- Other types of elevator accidents can include electrocution, crushing injuries, and amputation causes by coming in contact with the elevator in motion.
New York elevator laws
There are multiple codes and statutes under the Laws of New York that owners are required to adhere to while installing elevators in their buildings. People who are injured in such elevator accidents can hold the errant parties accountable for the injuries and subsequent losses. However, they need to consult with our legal experts who are well acquainted with the necessary codes and statutes to build a strong case against those whose negligence has caused the elevator accident.
Our expert and experienced New York City elevator accident lawyer will thoroughly examine the situation and will inform you if there’s a case against the negligent party. Your lawyer may also need to collaborate with other experts including construction specialists, engineers, doctors, police, and witnesses to establish certain facts to prove negligence and build a strong case to help you gain the best possible settlement.
What you need to do if you are involved in an elevator accident?
After the elevator accident, you may be required to furnish certain documented evidence such as witness statements, video garbs from the elevator, elevator records for the past few years, elevator inspection records, communication between owner and elevator firm and other supporting documents that help in establishing negligence.
- Immediately call for emergency medical help
- Take pictures, if possible, of the accident area
- Gather information such as maintenance personnel details
- Collect contact information of witnesses, if any
Proceeding legally against the negligent owner, elevator company and/or personnel can help you recover millions of dollars from these errant parties. A lawsuit when filed with the right expertise, can help you grow your checking account when you need the money the most to put your life back on track and give your loved ones a chance to catch a breather. The much needed financial compensation can help you through tough circumstances such as:
- Loss of wages due to injury
- Mental and/or physical trauma
- Funeral costs
- Medical treatment expenses
- Other costs related to engaging supplementing professional help such as physiotherapists, counselors, and so on
If you or your loved one has been a victim of a grievous injury as a result of an elevator accident in New York City, our New York City elevator accident lawyer has all the legal expertise and knowledge you need for a fair settlement. Rosenberg, Minc, Falkoff & Wolff have law offices located in Astoria, Queens, New York City and two locations in Brooklyn. Call now at 212 697 9280.
We win cases all the time. We work hard. We know the law and we seek results. Give us a call so we can possibly increase the size of your bank account as well.